My Mother-in-law receives 100% credit for this recipe! She is BY FAR one of THE BEST chefs of ALL TIME!
I have had the privilege of learning so many incredible recipes from her as well as “taste-testing” them all. Therefore, you can all thank her for introducing me to this cheesy soup of deliciousness!
I cannot wait to share more of my favorite family recipes with you!
Okay, so I know what you are thinking, “There are SO MANY ingredients to this recipe!” DON’T WORRY! The large list of ingredients might be a bit frightening at first, but you should have most of the ingredients already in your kitchen!
Words of advice:
When making this soup it works best to have all of the veggies pre-chopped. It is even more helpful to have someone else cooking with you!
I love it when a recipe calls for fresh veggies or beef! (The potatoes, carrots, onion, and beef is all grown on our farm.)
Before marrying a farmer I didn’t realize how beneficial living on a farm could be. But, growing your own produce and meat is more rewarding than I could have ever guessed it could be! For me, knowing that we grow our veggies without pesticides and beef without hormones makes me appreciate the food I eat and where it came from.
Okay, so I admit, this was the first time I actually made this recipe without the help of my farmer. Normally he is the one taking the lead on this meal, but I wanted to make sure I could do it on my own and you know what, I did (sort-of)! —He may or may not have helped me brown the hamburger while I finished chopping up all of the veggies. Exactly why it is best to pre-chop the veggies!
My Mother-in-law (the creator of this recipe) has inspired me both in and out of the kitchen. She too is a farm wife and has taught me that the most enjoyable thing in life, besides cooking, is family.
-I believe that Family is truly the heart and soul of any kitchen.-
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large carrots finely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks finely chopped
- 4 cups potatoes diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 tbsp. butter divided
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I prefer unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- Chop all veggies.
- In large saucepan cook beef. When cooked drain and set in large pot.
- In the same saucepan, sauté onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley flakes in 1 tbsp of butter until vegetables are tender.
- Add broth and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add vegetables to pot when fully cooked.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter and flour. Cook and stir fro 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add cheese, milk, and salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and add sour cream.
- Pour cheese mixture into the pot and let simmer for 5-10minutes.
- Will need one large saucepan and one large pot.
I hope you indulge, I mean ENJOY, this soup as much as I do!
This soup is best served snuggled up with that special someone!